Rails frontend developer toolset
Tequila basically is HAML for JSON generation.
Today while developing web applications with rich user UI, almost everything you need from rails backend is bunch of data in JSON format.
- Almost always, when you had to create unobvious set of data, your controllers became fat and ugly. Looks familiar?
- And you had to create a lot of small helper methods in your models if you want for example fullname instead of firstname, middlename and lastname or you want pretty address, instead of separate fields for zip, country, state and street adress in your JSON.
- Ah, and you had to create child node in your JSON for has-one or belongs-to associations if you want to get even one attribute form association.
- You cannot rename keys in your json. You might want to use keyword "type", but it is reserved by rails.
- What about calling your method with some parameters while generating JSON? No native way, sorry...
No way out? Tequila is the salvation!
- How often have you got 500 error while developing some super-cool ajax thing and seen stuff like this in your browser console?
- Do we really need to scroll down all that HTML/CSS noise each time looking on rails error backtrace?
Wanna make your backtraces clean and quiet for ajax requests? Go for it!
Have you ever wanted to type console.log() in your rails app?
Handcar lets you to push data from your rails application to firebug console
- It is useful when you do not want to deal with ruby debugger in simple cases
- No more every-minute switching from firefox/firebug to shell and logs scrolling looking for needed piece of data